Saturday, October 6, 2012

Reflection #6



In a classroom environment that is increasingly focused on literacy, math, science, and social studies, students can become frustrated and begin to feel overwhelmed. Students with disabilities often feel particularly frustrated when they are not given the tools to succeed in these subjects. How can we provide these students with an opportunity to feel accomplished? According to Wilson in her article “Art and Self Expression for Children with Special Needs,” “Creating art is a precious part of early childhood” which can be a form of self-expression, a cure for boredom, a release from stress, or an opportunity for a child to feel proud of their accomplishments. If art is such a positive influence for children, why should it be more important for student with disabilities? Students who are labeled with a disability often struggle in many subject areas, and undergo frequent testing which can be difficult and stressful. Allowing these students to have a fun, safe, and interesting way to express themselves to others can provide relaxation and a chance for these students to feel proud of their work.

Riding is what I do to de-stress



A CD holder I made



Here is the inside



Cooking is another artistic thing I enjoy


I don’t think that art is just important for students. I think every individual, young or old, should have a form of expression to take them out of their everyday routine. Even though I am now closer to being an adult than I child, I still find that when I become over scheduled and overworked I need to find relax and relieve stress. Sometimes I do this by cooking, sometimes watching movies, running or riding horses. Other times I do this by knitting, drawing, or making gifts.  These physical, hands-on activities give me an opportunity to express myself, and to feel successful at something. 


A bracelet for my mother

Photography, another art form I enjoy! (There are so many!)

No comments:

Post a Comment